All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever before have numerous scientific breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of individuals the opportunity to lower or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast method to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't understand can harm you.
4. Request info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your physician will not tell you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
visit this page 6. Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The potential cost savings are unworthy the threat of getting less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat different result. The very best cosmetic surgeon worldwide cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the world.